Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Inside the Church of the Spilled Blood

Since I desperately need to catch up on my blogging, I figured I'd share additional pictures from St. Petersburg interspersed with more current events.  (This is what happens when I get busy writing books and articles.  For some reason, more writing in the blog during the evenings just doesn't have a huge appeal. :-)   )  I mean, I've wanted to post them and have had the pictures loaded for ages, but ...  So here's the interior of the Church of the Spilled Blood, one of the big, beautiful churches in St. Petersburg and one that was all of 3-4 blocks from the Grand Hotel. 

Even though the Church isn't particularly large, every square inch of it is covered with striking and colorful decorations, including some really dramatic icons.  Guess this is what happens when an emperor's assassination is being commemorated.





One of several altars in the church



Close-up of the decoration above the altar.


Unlike the Catholic and Protestant Christian churches with which I'm more familiar, here the domes were decorated with huge images of the Virgin and Jesus (below).  I actually found it quite evocative, especially with the windows lighting the images.








No comments:

Post a Comment